J. Ryan Schmidt is former corporate counsel and compliance officer for a publicly traded international construction company. He devotes the bulk of his practice to transactional law, and his practice focuses primarily on working with all types of construction contracts as well as a multitude of corporate matters including formation and governance issues, mergers and acquisitions, and the acquisition, disposition and leasing of commercial and industrial real estate. He has worked with businesses locally, nationally, and internationally on a variety of projects both in the corporate and real estate sectors as well as all aspects of the construction industry.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors, Greater Houston Chapter
- Association of General Contractors of America, Houston Chapter
- Memorial Park Conservancy
- Victoria Builders Association
- Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, Area Go Texan Committee
- Sons of the Republic of Texas
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Doctor of Jurisprudence, Cum Laude, May 2003
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Fraternity
- Board of Barristers
- St. Edwards University, B.A. Political Science, Cum Laude, May 2000
- President, Student Government/Student Body; Senator, Student Government
- Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity
- Student Delegate: Board of Trustees, Alumni Board of Directors and Honor Council
- State Bar of Texas
- US Federal Court, Southern District of Texas
Practice Areas and Casework
- Managed legal departmental operations for publicly traded construction company on a national and international scale including Global Compliance, HR, HSE and Risk Management Divisions in the US, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Jordan, UAE, and Australia.
- Drafted, maintained, and updated standardized construction contracts, master service agreements, bid preparation documents, procurement contracts, joint ventures, teaming agreements, MOU’s, associated certifications, waivers, and releases, as well as architectural and engineering services agreements, charter parties, and transportation agreements.
- Spearheaded action for all insurance matters for a large corporation; including bonding, sureties, and the filing of mechanic and materialman’s liens.
- Served as primary contracting officer responsible for the drafting, negotiating, and review of all contracts for construction services including Design-Build, AIA, and EPC’s.
- Represented the owner of a major national chain of full service carwashes in the sale of assets with a transaction amount totaling $48 million.
- Represented the purchaser in a $38 million asset purchase and merger transaction involving the acquisition of assets and real estate of an international telecommunication and broadcast company.
- Represented an oil and gas financial services company in corporate reorganization as well as a $500 million complex capitalization involving debt and private equity finance.
- Represented client in finance and construction of a South Texas oil refinery.
- Represented a Scandinavian-based shipping company in connection with its acquisition of 396,000 square foot of industrial space in the Port of Houston.