Stephanie O’Rourke is a member of the firm’s litigation practice group and manages the firm’s San Antonio office. Her practice focuses on the representation of general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in construction disputes as well as insurance companies and businesses in complex disputes. She has a wealth of experience in oil and gas transactions and litigation, and she is consistently asked to present at workshops and seminars regarding her expertise on sureties and bonds. Stephanie’s expertise in construction litigation has earned her recognition from numerous publications and organizations. Stephanie is Board Certified in Construction Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Recognitions & Distinctions
- Board Certified in Construction Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS)
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters from 2012-2015. Each year, no more than 5 percent of lawyers in the state are selected to receive this honor.
- Named by her peers as one of San Antonio’s Best Lawyers in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 by S.A. Scene magazine .
- Named 2010 Industry Professional of the Year by Associated Builders and Contractors
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell peer review ratings, the highest rating possible.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Construction Law Advisory Commission
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Kendall County Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas: Litigation and Construction Law Sections (Appointed Council Member, 2009-2012)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institution: San Antonio Construction Law Section
- Associated Builders and Contractors
-Board of Directors
-Chairman for Political Action Committee
-Chairman for Governmental Affairs Committee (2011-2013)
- Associated General Contractors
- National Association of Women in Construction
- Board of Directors – Port Royal Ocean Resort
- TADC Nominating committee, 2014-2015
- CFMA Board of Directors
- St. Mary’s University – J.D., 1988
- University of South Carolina – B.A., 1984
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court: Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Practice Areas and Casework
- Determined the validity and priority of liens in a large construction dispute between owner, general contractor and subcontractors.
- Drafted, reviewed and advised on all contract documents with suppliers and general contractors for a multimillion dollar, statewide concrete contractor.
- Filed mechanics and materialman liens for contractors, subcontractors and suppliers throughout Texas. Represent lien claimant in foreclosure and collection proceedings.
- Represent multiple real estate developers in various aspects including contract resolution and disputes.
- Represented a partner of a limited liability company against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty brought by remaining partners of an automotive service company.
- Represented a nursing home facility against a claim of breach of fiduciary duty against an individual whose partnership rights were terminated.
- Represent insurance companies in statewide first and third party cases.
- Represent a childcare facility on all labor & employment matters, EEOC rules as well as general policy and legal matters.
- Act as counsel for a multimillion dollar commercial real estate developer. Handle all real estate transactions and contracts as well as litigation matters.
- In 2013 alone, tried 3 significant arbitrations and prevailed against the City of Edinburg, a Zachary entity, and against a multi million dollar claim.
- “Unforeseen Conditions and the Unexpected,” Texas A&M COCSI Law (December 2016)
- “Killer Contract Clauses,” Hispanic Contractors Association (September 2016)
- “Lien and Construction Contract Updates,” sponsored by The Construction Zone, San Antonio, Texas, (January 2014)
- “Killer Contract Clauses and Case Law Update on Ewing v Amerisure,” Insource Insurance (June 2014)
- “Employment 101,” Insource Insurance, San Antonio, Texas (November 2014)
- “Texas Legislative Session,” seminar sponsored by Guaranty Insurance Services, San Antonio, Texas (November 2011)
- “Construction Contracts: How to Negotiate Key Contract Provisions,” sponsored by Guaranty Insurance, San Antonio, Texas (2010)
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2015, October). You’re insured against the big-ticket rip and tear damages, right?. Construction News Publication, Legal Column.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2014, June). Supreme Court Revitalizes Strength of Forum-Selection Clauses. ABC’s Construction Executive Magazine.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2012, January). Negotiating Construction Contracts. Institute for Strategic Negotiations, National Webinar.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2011, December). Texas Legislative Updates. Paper presented at the Annual Construction Industry Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2010, October). Collecting the Judgment: Collection Law From Start to Finish. Paper presented at the National Business Institute, San Antonio, Texas.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2009). Multi-Party Property Damage Claims from the General Contractor’s Perspective. Paper presented at the 22nd Annual Construction Law Conference, San Antonio, Texas.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2004). Can the Insured Forfeit Coverage. State Bar of Texas, CLE.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (2004). Basic’s mechanic’s and materialmen’s liens; The use and Abuse of Article 21.55. Houston, TX: South Texas College of Law.
- O’Rourke, S.L. (1996). Dealing with Counterclaim and Defenses. State Bar of Texas Advanced Creditors’ Rights Course.