Travis Brown is a coverage lawyer and experienced litigator. Prior to joining Cokinos | Young, Travis was a partner in the coverage section of a national insurance firm. Travis now advises clients in the construction industry on coverage issues, with a focus on coverage for defective workmanship and job-site injuries. When necessary, Travis pursues coverage for his clients in the courtroom, where he is a skilled and zealous advocate. Travis also represents employers who are non-subscribers in Texas and frequently defends clients in lawsuits brought by workers who have sustained injuries in the workplace. In connection with his practice, Travis frequently handles appellate matters before Texas state and federal courts of appeals.
- Obtained dismissal of Iraqi national’s claims for alleged violations of the Defense Base Act (“DBA”), based on the DBA’s exclusive remedy provision. Prepared appellee’s brief in connection with Plaintiff’s appeal to the Fifth Circuit, which affirmed. Nadheer v. Ins. Co. of Pennsylvania, 506 Fed. Appx. 297 (5th Cir. 2013).
- Obtained affirmance by Dallas Court of Appeals of trial court’s dismissal of common law and statutory claims related to insurer’s denial of workers’ compensation coverage. Thomas v. American Home Assurance Co., No. 05-11-01722- CV, 2013 WL 1857105 (Tex. App.—Dallas May 3, 2013, no pet.).
- Prepared winning brief to Fort Worth Court of Appeals, arguing against application of “Hughes Tolling” doctrine to plaintiff’s claims for legal malpractice. Domino v. Allmand & Lee, PLLC, 439 S.W.3d 519 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2014, pet. denied).
- Successfully defended appeal of a summary judgment on a plaintiff’s claims for legal malpractice in the estate-planning context. Donaldson v. Mincey, No. 05-13-00271- CV, 2014 WL 7399263 (Tex. App.—Dallas December 17, 2014, pet. denied).
Presentations and Updates
- Risks Encountered by General Contractors When Hiring Non-Subscribing Subcontractors, E-Alert, 2-20-17
- Defending and Evaluating Texas Nonsubscriber Claims, Web Presentation, 2-14-17
- Stowers Update: New Issues Surrounding the Stowers Doctrine, Web Presentation, 6-28-16
- Key Issues to Consider When Handling ERISA Claims, Web Presentation, 4-14-15
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2008
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., Plan II Honors Program, 2002
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., Finance, 2002
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts, Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Memberships and Community Involvement
- Dallas Bar Association: Construction Law, Tort & Insurance Practice Sections
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- McKinney Avenue Transit Authority: Board of Directors
- Exchange Club of Lake Highlands: Scholarship Committee, 2017; Oktoberfest Committee, 2013